Academic Probation and Suspension
Academic probation is a warning to the student that an improvement in grades must be made to remain as a student of OG体育.
A student who does not maintain a 2.00 Grade Point Average (GPA) for all courses taken during a term will be placed on academic probation. A student placed on academic probation must earn a 2.00 GPA the following term to remain enrolled. A student who does not meet the GPA of 2.00 at the end of the term while on academic probation will be terminated from school for one term. When the student returns after the term of academic suspension, he/ she remains on probation and must successfully complete that term with a 2.00 GPA. Students are notified of the academic status by their grade reports on Banner Web each term.
Student Privacy Rights
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are as follows:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day OG体育 receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The OG体育 official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
- The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the OG体育 official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If OG体育 decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to college officials with legitimate educational interests. A college official is a person employed by OG体育 in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom OG体育 has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on a school board; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by OG体育 to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605
In accordance with the federal law outlined above, OG体育 will release the following information as directory information:
- Full name of student
- Major and field(s) of study
- Enrollment status (i.e., full or part-time, undergraduate, graduate)
- Degrees and awards and date received
- Dates of attendance
- Participation in official sports and activities
- Height and weight of athletic team members
Any adult student or minor student’s parent who objects to the release of this directory information under the Family and Educational Rights and Privacy Act should file an objection in writing clearly stating what directory information should not be released to third parties. Forms are available in the Registrar’s office for filing a FERPA Objection.
Another federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment, requires South Georgia Technical College to release student recruitment information to military recruiters. Student recruitment information is defined as: name, address, telephone number, age, major, date(s) of attendance (quarter of enrollment), degree awarded.
If you do not wish to have student recruitment information released to third parties, you may file a FERPA Objection in the office of the Registrar.